19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon & Half Marathon, April 24-26
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, Health & Fitness Expo, 5K, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #1
10 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for the 19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon & Half Marathon weekend, which includes the 2015 RRCA New Jersey State Championship race in the Marathon distance. In an effort to help make your participation more enjoyable throughout the entire race weekend, this is the first in a series of weekly messages containing important information. Copies of these messages will also be available on our website and links to them will be posted on both Facebook and Twitter.
New for 2015:
- The Full, Half, and Relay races will all start at 7:30 am this year.
- There are no speed restrictions for the full marathon wheelchair division this year.
Smooth Sailing on Race Day:
This section contains important information to help race day go smoothly for you and your support team.
1. Getting to the Start: We are always working hard to ensure that getting to the Start Line on race day morning is as smooth and easy as possible, and look forward to your continued cooperation in helping to reduce any potential delays.
Ways to make your access to the Start Line easier:
a) Take the Special NJ Marathon Race Day Train which will arrive at Monmouth Park Station at about 6:25 am. Click here for the train schedule. Click here to register for our special race day train. Over the years this has proven to be the easiest way to arrive at Monmouth Park for our Sunday races.
b) If planning to arrive via motor vehicle there are two important things which you can do to make your commute easier on Race Day Morning:
i. Carpool, and
ii. Plan on being in the parking lots around Monmouth Park about 75-120 minutes prior to the start of your race.
Please note: With over 5,000 vehicles trying to get into the parking lots at Monmouth Park, most at about the same time, there can be heavy traffic on race day morning from every direction.
Important: Parking lots fill up fast and the closest parking spots are filled first. The last vehicles to arrive may be required to park almost a mile from the start line and will require additional time to walk to the start area. Plan ahead so that you don’t miss your assigned corral (they close at 7:20 am on race day).
c) Get dropped off at our special Athlete Drop-off Location inside the Clubhouse Main Gate on Victor Ave. Please watch for signs for that area as you approach Monmouth Park on Rt. 36. Please note: Dropping off athletes in any other location than the designated one is not allowed as heavy traffic makes it dangerous and it will slow down parking for others.
Other things to know about Sunday race transportation:
2. Busing from the start area: will be free and available for relay athletes, spectators, volunteers and race staff:
a) buses will depart from the NJ Marathon and Half Marathon bus terminal in Monmouth Park to the following locations:
i) the relay transition area in Monmouth Beach: for relay athletes and parents/guardians of relay athletes under 18 only.
ii) the NJ Marathon and Half Marathon bus terminal on Union Ave. in Long Branch for: spectators, volunteers and race staff. This bus terminal is a block from mile 9.75 of the race courses and within 4 blocks of the finish area. Please note: This bus station is NOT used for transportation back to Monmouth Park. Please see the paragraph below for return busing information to Monmouth Park.
3. Post-Race Transportation: When leaving the Finish Area there are several post-race transportation options to consider.
a. Walk to Long Branch Station and take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train home. Please note: These trains DO NOT STOP at Monmouth Park.
b. Walk to your vehicle which is parked in one of the lots around the Finish Area.
c. Walk to our Finish Area bus depot (in front of the Ocean Place Resort) for a free bus ride back to Monmouth Park. Please note: Due to road closures from the race, these buses cannot begin the return trip to Monmouth Park until about 9:30 am, and will begin boarding by starting corral order until any backlog has been reduced. We invite you to take advantage of the Finish Line Festival (food, music, raffles, awards ceremonies, cheering for other athletes, etc.) until the busing begins.
4. Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: By prepaying the $5 per car parking fee prior to race day exiting the parking lots will be much faster. Otherwise it will cost $10 to exit the parking lots post-race and be slower. We strongly suggest that you take advantage of the pre-paid option. Click here to register for Start Area Parking. Tickets will also be on sale during Packet Pick-up on Friday and Saturday.
5. Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: We offer Guaranteed Finish Area Parking at Seven President’s Oceanfront Park in Long Branch for $15. Click here to register for Guaranteed Finish Area Parking. Please note: There is no shuttle transportation from this parking lot to the Start Area as it is intended for your supporters and those needing a quick exit after the race.
Other things to know about Sunday races:
6. Gear Check: If you would like to have warm/dry clothing available at the finish of your race, please use the official gear check bag which you will receive when picking up your race packet. It is the ONLY BAG you will be allowed to bring into the secure Start Area in Monmouth Park and the ONLY BAG you will be allowed to carry inside the secure Finish Area. Take advantage of this free service to stay warm and comfortable after your race!
7. Race Day Security Information for Athletes, Spectators, Press, Volunteers and Race Staff: Click here to read about the special race day security requirements at both the Start Area and the Finish Area. If everyone complies with the security requirements, these two areas will be simple to get to and fun places to be on race day for everyone. These safety procedures are intended to allow everyone to feel the positive energy and excitement of race day, in as safe an environment as possible. Please note: There will be no exceptions to these security requirements on race day! It is your responsibility to understand them and to comply fully. Please be sure that any race day spectators/supporters read and understand the security requirement which apply to them as well.
8. Optional Packet Pick-up Service: If you aren’t able to pick up your race packet during our normal Expo hours on Friday or Saturday, and can’t find a proxy to pick it up for you for free, we offer a Race Day Packet Pick-Up Service. This service is limited to the first 500 who register prior to the cut-off date, and costs $25. Click here if you wish to register for this special service. On race day plan to arrive early to give yourself plenty of time to pick up your packet, pin your bib on your shirt, check clothing at our Gear Check for the finish line, warm up, etc.
9. VIP Program: All Sunday race athletes have the option to additionally purchase a special race package in order to enjoy the ultimate race experience! Our VIP Program includes: special Expo and Start Area parking, access to the VIP facilities in the Start Area and Finish Area, special packet pick-up lines during our Expo, etc.
10. Tide Team: Athletes who have raced with us during five or more consecutive years starting on or before 2010 automatically become Tide Team Members. The 2015 Tide Team Member list is available on our website. If you don’t see your name on the 2015 list, and you believe that it should be, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your five (or more) consecutive years listed. We’ll gladly add you to the Team if you qualify. Click here to check out what you’ll earn by becoming a member.
The information above is provided as suggestions which will reduce pre-race and post-race stress on Sunday, April 26th. Please take the time to review the suggestions in these weekly updates and plan accordingly.
As always, the most effective way to manage stress during your race is to develop and follow well thought out training and racing plans, and adjust your plans as needed on race day.
Best wishes during your training and on race day!
Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon and Half Marathon
Presented by: Life Time Fitness